With claims of “sleeping like a baby and burning fat like crazy” it’s impossible not to be intrigued by this so called night time diet pill. We give Ambislim PM the watchdog review to see if you really can lose weight whilst you sleep!
Promising to be an effective sleep aid and fat burner we take an in-depth look at Ambislim.
- Incorrectly (or deliberately) misinterpreted study results
- Ingredient profile not fully disclosed
- Mixed consumer feedback
- Comes from Utah, the diet pill scam capital
Watchdog Rejected Diet Pills
Ambislim PM appears to be owned by AmbiSlim Weight Loss Solutions but the payment processor and domain name is registered to Ampersand Industries LLC. This company is based in Utah in the USA and own a number of other diet pills a few we have already reviewed, Phenphedrine, SlimVox, Decatrim and Zydrex.
This company has links with other Utah companies such as Gadd Formulas LLC, Blackstone Nutrition, all of which have received negative publicity over the years.
This product has been on the market for some 5 years now and a fairly poor track history in terms of complaints. We checked the Better Business Bureau for “Ampersand Industries LLC” and found they had the worst rating possible, an “F”.
Problems ranging from delivery, billing, guarantee and product issues have been experienced by consumers with this company. Something to bear in mind if considering ordering from these guys!
The official website does have a returns address, web contact form, email address and sales line in order for you to contact them.
Taking Ambislim is straight forward; you simply take 2 capsules with water around 60-120 minutes before going to sleep.
- Misrepresents clinical data to support supplement claims
- Lacks ingredient amounts and so impossible to know if sufficient exists to work
- Manufacturer has a poor track record for customer satisfaction
What Does AmbiSlim Claim To Do?
The biggest claim for this supplement is that you can “lose weight whilst you sleep!”
It backs this bold statement by saying…
Research has shown weight loss has a direct correlation with sleep: People who get 5 hours or less of QUALITY SLEEP are 73% more likely to be Clinically OBESE than those who get 7+ hours of QUALITY SLEEP!
It claims by using a potent blend of ingredients that make up its two-part formula, a weight loss formula and one designed to aid sleep. This the manufacturer states can “outperform all other night diet pills as the world’s strongest 1-2 Weight Loss Punch!”
So What Is AmbiSlim and What Are The Ingredients For AmbiSlim?
There are quite a few ingredients in Ambislim PM, we counted no less than 16 in total. It’s unclear about the ingredient quantities as these are not disclosed; these are hidden within a proprietary blend.
There are essentially two formulas in this supplement, one set of ingredients to trigger weight loss and the other designed to aid sleep. The official website outlines all the ingredients with a brief description and a reference to clinical studies, although we found it impossible to click on any of the links!
Here are the weight loss ingredients:
- Garcinia Extract: Found in parts of Asia and looking very much like a tiny pumpkin, the extract called Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA) has been suggested to promote fat burning and suppress appetite. Some studies have indeed supported the weight loss claims whilst others have not.
- Green Tea (decaffeinated): Lots of research has shown positive results for Green Tea but refer to the caffeinated version, whereas decaffeinated green tea is used in Ambislim, most likely to ensure no stimulants are present as this may unnecessarily keep you awake.
- Slimaluma: A proprietary standardized extract of Caralluma Fimbriata, which is said to suppress appetite similar to Hoodia Gordonii. Research suggests that you need at least 1,000mg to cause an effect, there is no indication how much Slimaluma is present in each capsule!
- Chromium Polynicotinate: Anecdotal evidence suggests it can help burn and boost energy levels but looking into 24 studies using varying dosages by National Institute of Health revealed no significant changes in body weight.
- Guggulsterone (2.5%): Said to enhance the functioning of the thyroid gland and to lower cholesterol levels. Most studies seem to be conducted on Rats and there is no indication how much is present here.
- Dandelion Root: Rich in beta-carotene and potassium, although little scientific evidence this root has long been used in herbal medicine for a range of conditions including appetite-stimulating, digestion-aiding, and laxative effects.
- Coleus Forsokhlii: A tropical perennial plant that’s long been used in Ayurvedic medicine to treat a number of conditions from heart disease to painful urination. Contains the active ingredient forskolin, which is said to increase thyoid activity. More research is needed and there is no indication of how much is in Ambislim.
- Cinnamon Extract: Studies have suggested it can improve glucose metabolism.
- Hops Flower: There are some claims based around a study undertaken in 2005 on the effects of using Hops on Mice who were fed a high fat diet. There is no evidence to suggest Hops could have any effect on weight loss in humans.
Here are the sleep aid ingredients:
- Valerian Root: One of most well known ingredients thought to aid sleep and to give a calming almost sedative like effect. Predominantly used for insomnia and for nervous tension but only seems to be work if taken over long periods of time.
- Passion Flower: Also known as Passiflora and said to have effects similar too but milder than Valerian. There are few scientific studies into Passion Flower in the treatment of anxiety or insomnia, so it’s not known if any affects are due to this ingredient or others.
- Jujube Extract: Used in Chinese and Korean traditional medicine, where they are believed to alleviate stress.
- Phenibut: Said to relieve tension, anxiety, and fear and to improve sleep in patients suffering from psychosomatic or neurotic conditions.
- Chamomile Extract: Used for centuries and is a popular treatment for a number of conditions, which includes sleep disorders.
- Melatonin: A hormone mostly known for several biological functions to do with circadian rhythms that regulates sleep-wake cycle, but is also a potent antioxidant. Melatonin has been found to help increase total sleep in those suffering from sleep restriction. Again no indication of how much is included in AmbiSlim PM!
- Magnolia Bark (Standardized to 2% Honokiol): Used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries and said to help anxiety and nervous tension and to promote sleep.
So What Does All This Mean?
This supplement contains a mixture of ingredients said to promote fat burning without jittery side effects that are common with many stimulants. You also have a set of ingredients that could have a calming effect that’s suggested to reduce anxiety, stress and to aid sleep.
The problem is the use of a proprietary blend means there is no indication of how much of each ingredient is present, and so whether sufficient amount exists to have any real effect!
There is also the BIG ISSUE by the manufacturer of claiming a direct casual relationship between sleep and obesity!
More on this later when we look at the research.
Does AmbiSlim Have Any Side Effects?
The manufacturer claims there are no side effects with this product, but does suggest checking you’re not allergic to any of the ingredients, if so you should avoid.
Again without knowing how much of each ingredient is included in each capsule, it’s impossible to really know if side effects are likely. Considering you take just two capsules per day, and no stimulant are present, it’s unlikely any significant side effects will be experienced.
Caution: Pregnant or nursing mothers, anyone taking prescription medication or has pre-existing medical conditions should avoid taking this supplement.
Warning: You are advised to avoid alcohol and driving after taking Ambislim PM. You should stop taking it if you start hallucinating too!
Any AmbiSlim Reviews From Customers?
There are user testimonials on the official site and as you would expect they are very positive.
Independent Ambislim reviews are rather scarce. The few that are available have been somewhat mixed. A few consumers feel the product is a scam and a waste of money. In contrast, recent reviews have been more favourable, one consumer reported it did help her but required a couple of months to take effect.
So Does AmbiSlim Work?
The manufacturer claims just 1% of consumer’s request a refund, suggesting it works for 99% of consumers who try it! Fairly lofty claims indeed, so let’s look at the evidence to support it.
Let’s firstly tackle the main claims for Ambislim, that of obesity and it’s direct correlation with sleeping less than 5 hours each night.
The research does support an associated link between less sleep in obese patients and those of a normal body mass index. Robert D. Vorona et al found that sleep loss causes hormonal changes that could result in obesity. Whilst this may seem like compelling evidence for the link between sleep and obesity the authors caution that:
this study does not establish a cause-and-effect relationship between restricted sleep and obesity
Robert D. Vorona et al, 2005
See the full study here: http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=486346
The manufacturers have incorrectly (or deliberately) misinterpreted the results of this study when marketing Ambislim!
Looking at the weight loss ingredients used, a number of these have been shown to be mostly ineffective at increasing fat burning and promoting weight loss.
Garcinia Cambogia and Chromium Polynicotinate have largely been discredited and found to produce little if any weight loss.
The research on Coleus forskohlii and Guggulsterone has mixed results in terms of weight loss, considering the likely dosages in Ambislim we are not confident they will exert any effect.
The two most promising weight loss ingredients are Green Tea and Slimaluma.
Green tea is a powerful ingredient in diet pills due to its potent fat burning properties; the problem is in this supplement they use the decaffeinated version. One study suggests that just taking the EGCG (a critical catechin and component of green tea) has positive health benefits but is not that effective a fat burner. The study concludes that green tea could promote loss of body fat if taken in higher dosages and combined with other metabolic stimulants (such as caffeine).
The research highlighted by the manufacturers to support Green Tea’s benefits uses the caffeinated version of this ingredient – another example of the manufacturers misunderstanding or deliberately interpreting the evidence? Hmm, there is a pattern here!
Slimaluma or Caralluma has been shown to suppress food cravings but in dosages of 1,000mg or more. Considering you only take 2 capsules per day then it’s very unlikely Ambislim contains this amount.
So considering the number of ingredients used in the proprietary blend it’s very unlikely that sufficient amounts exist to have any effect!
Where Can I Buy AmbiSlim?
You can buy Ambislim PM directly from the official manufacturer and from Amazon. One bottle costs $19.95 (£13) supposedly reduced from $59.95 (£45) for 60 capsules, which is enough for one month’s supply. Discounts are available if purchasing more bottles at a time.
What About A Guarantee?
There is a 90-day money-back guarantee available. To qualify you need to have taken as directed for 30 days before returning the empty bottle and remaining unopened bottles. If you return any bottles before 30 days after the purchase then no refund will be given!
We have some concerns about how easy it would be to get your money-back through as this and associated companies have had a poor history with regards to customer satisfaction. Earlier in our review we have outlined cases where consumers have been less than happy with guarantee, warranty and delivery issues.
Ambislim may help improve sleep (eventually), but it’s very unlikely to have much impact on your weight loss. If insomnia is a problem, then this isn’t the right product for you, there are many better alternatives that are more effective and certainly cheaper!
This product is very much the case of deliberately or misunderstanding the research concerning the link between lack of sleep and obesity (and the results of weight loss ingredients!). The manufacturer’s “understanding” of the research is then used to support the flawed claims made for Ambislim.
With the lack of ingredient profile, makes incorrect assumptions from research data to support the claims and less than impressive genuine consumer reviews, we reject Ambislim PM Night time diet pills.
Watchdog Rejected Diet Pills
#1 Consumer Choice 2018: Phentaslim
Thousands of customers have cut the fat with this fast and powerful thermogenic fat burner. Can suppress appetite, boost energy levels and elevate mood without the jitters.
- Over 100,000 satisfied customers
- Manufactured in a GMP facility
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- FREE shipping and buy 3 get 1 FREE offers!
< Click here to Read our Full Review >