CliniSlim promises weight loss of “10lbs in just 10 days” using clinically proven ingredients in the right amounts! We are critical of diet pills containing ineffective, too few or not revealing their ingredients, have we found a supplement that really works?
Is this over the counter medical looking diet pill the answer to losing upwards of 30 lbs in just one month? We dig deeper into the claims made by the manufacturers of CliniSlim.
- Some promising ingredients
- 90-day money-back guarantee
- Possible side effects
- Clinical data misleading
- Lacks independent testimonials
- No physical address for the company
- Comes from Utah, the diet pill scam capital
Watchdog Rejected Diet Pills
What sets CliniSlim apart from most diet pills is the large number of capsules in each bottle. There are no less than 300 capsules per bottle! This is a result of the manufacturer attempting to ensure enough of each ingredient is present to work. This of course means that you need to take at least 5 capsules per day 30 minutes before breakfast and lunch. CliniSlim do warn against taking any more than 10 capsules per day!
The official CliniSlim website is clear and well designed with the focus very much on the clinical studies that support the ingredients used in this diet pill. In fact most of the content of the site goes to outlining three particular studies that support the weight loss claims made by the manufacturer, but more on this later.
We did our usual checks on CliniSlim to see if any scams or rip-offs have been reported by consumers for this product. We are happy to have found no online reports, so looking good!
We could have spoken a little too soon though, as when searching as to who owns the product we found that R. Walker Companies LLC based in Provo, Utah owns the domain! Sound a bit familiar? Well it seems that this company also owns a number of other diet pills we have reviewed, such as Apidexin, Phytodren and numerous others. Many of these diet pills have a number of consumer complaints associated with them.
We found the Better Business Bureau (BBB) has given R. Walker Companies an F rating, the lowest possible for guarantee and warranty issues to do with another one of their products:
Like we said, we could find no reports of CliniSlim scams or rip-offs by consumers so let’s push on and find out more about this supplement.
- Encourages fast and potentially unhealthy weight loss that is not sustainable
- Weight loss claims are overstated and likely to be unrealistic
- Possible side effects
What Does CliniSlim Claim To Do?
CliniSlim promises fast weight loss within 10 days using clinically proven ingredients, in clinically proven amounts and guaranteed results!
They go even further by claiming you can…
Lose up to 30 pounds with the WORLD’S BEST Over the Counter Diet Pills that Work!
The basis of the bold weight loss claims for CliniSlim is the clinical trials that support the ingredients used in this supplement. The manufacturers say…
Looking at all 3 clinical trials, the average test subject lost 31.69 pounds when all three clinical trials are added together.
So What Is CliniSlim and What Are The Ingredients For CliniSlim?
The CliniSlim ingredients and amounts are clearly shown in the left-hand side of the official website. There is a typo on the supplement label displayed on the site showing 4,005mg for Yerbe Mate but this is shown as 400mg elsewhere.
The manufacturers claim that CliniSlim is effective due to including ingredients in the right amount supported by clinical trials to promote weight loss. As such the ingredients are described in three separate compounds that are supposedly supported by independent clinical trials.
The first compound includes the following set of ingredients:
- Guarana (750mg): Taken from a plant that is found in the Amazon Basin in Brazil. Commonly used in diet pills as it contains slowly released caffeine that can deliver longer more sustained energy. Weight loss studies have shown mixed results but 75mg has been found to significantly improve memory, alertness and mood.
- Yerba Mate (400mg): From a tree native to South America and reported to have numerous health and weight loss properties. A study in 2005 on food supplements and weight control suggest further studies are required on this ingredient.
- Damiana (200mg): Also known as Turnera diffusa and is a shrub native to Central and South America, Mexico and the Caribbean. It’s claimed that Damiana has a strong stimulating libido effect and could be effective for weight loss by boosting metabolism and increasing energy levels.
The second compound consists of just one ingredient:
- Glucomannan (1,000mg): Also known as Konjac Root Fiber and suggested to help reduce food cravings by suppressing appetite. The soluble fiber does this by swelling when in contact with water in the stomach. There is evidence from studies to suggest this ingredient can promote weight loss in sufficient quantities. There is the same amount in CliniSlim as one clinical study suggesting this could work.
Lastly the third compounds are:
- Garcinia Cambogia (1,500mg): Found in parts of Asia and looking very much like a tiny pumpkin, the extract called Hydroxycitric Acid (HCA) has been suggested to promote fat burning and suppress appetite. Some studies have indeed supported the weight loss claims whilst others have not.
- Gymnema Sylvestre (75mg): Herb native to tropical forests in Southern and Central India. It’s still being extensively studied as the effects are not entirely known. It has been used in herbal medicine for some time but its the potential for reducing sugar cravings that is of interest as a potential weight loss ingredient.
- Chromium Polynicotinate (250mcg): One of the most popular ingredients used in diet pills as anecdotal evidence suggests it can help burn and boost energy levels. The National Institute of Health reviewed 24 studies that examined the effects of chromium picolinate in varying dosages and found no significant changes in body mass or composition.
So What Does All This Mean?
CliniSlim bases its weight loss claims on three studies undertaken in the last 30 years, combining the total weight loss seen from each of the three studies together to justify the claims of up to 30lbs weight loss.
With CliniSlim you are taking more of the ingredients seen in many diet pills making such promises but this simple logic is flawed.
The manufacturers are making a big assumption that the weight loss effects of each set of compounds will be seen, this is highly unlikely.
There is no published clinical evidence that adding together the effects of 3 different studies will give 3 times the effect. It’s like adding petrol to your car from 3 different gas stations…..it doesn’t mean your car will go 3 times faster!
Does CliniSlim Have Any Side Effects?
Some consumers have reported severe headaches and dehydration whilst taking this supplement.
CliniSlim does contain some caffeine in the form of Guarana but only around 45mg, which is less than the average cup of coffee. So it’s unlikely to cause any jittery symptoms unless you are very sensitive to caffeine.
Concerns: No restrictions or guidelines are outlined by CliniSlim but you should avoid this supplement if you’re pregnant or a nursing mother, or under 18 years of age.
Any CliniSlim Reviews From Customers?
The official site shows 7 consumer testimonials all from before February 2011. As you would expect they are very complimentary and reported weight loss of 5lbs in a few days to 19lbs in a month using CliniSlim. There are no before or after pictures and we have no way of verifying these testimonials.
There is a real lack of independent testimonials, we only found one independent customer testimonial on Amazon who reported experiencing side effects (see above).
So Does CliniSlim Work?
Three separate independent studies on the ingredients in each of the three compounds are used to back up the claims made by the manufacturer.
In order to support their weight loss claims of up to 30lbs per month they combine average weight loss of these three studies (31.69lbs). This is a MASSIVE ASSUMPTION and is not backed by evidence to suggest this is the case!
Let’s take a closer look at the three clinical studies.
Clinical Study #1
The first study published in 2001 looks at the effectiveness of the ingredients in the first compound (Guarana, Yerbe Mate and Damiana) to delay gastric emptying. The study found the time for experiencing satiety and fullness was reduced causing significant average weight loss of 11lbs after 45 days in 47 test subjects. They also found the mixture was effective for weight maintenance over 12 months.
The results certainly look encouraging, until we found that the proportions of the first compound in CliniSlim differ from those used in the study referenced!
The study uses 112mg of Yerbe Mate, 95mg of Guarana and 36mg Damiana. CliniSlim has in relative terms far less Yerbe Mate favouring more Guarana instead. The impact on this change in the mixture is for weight loss is unknown!
Here is the full study here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11424516
Clinical Study #2
The second study references a trial dating from 1984 that looks into the effects of Glucomannan on obese patients. The subjects were told not to change their diet or exercise pattern and took 1,000mg of Glucomannan fiber per day for 8-weeks after which time they lost an average of 5.5lbs with no adverse side effects.
CliniSlim contains the same 1,000mg serving as this trial, suggesting it could have the same weight loss benefits.
If you want to read the full study it’s here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6096282
Clinical Study #3
The last study looks at the weight loss benefits of the 3rd compound of ingredients (Garcinia Cambogia (HCA), Gymnema Sylvestre and Chromium) in 50 obese Thai women. At the end of 8-week trial the group taking a Garcinia mixture lost just over 6lbs compared to the placebo group who lost just over 3lbs.
What a minute, didn’t CliniSlim say that they lost 14.99lbs?
The manufacturer also fails to mention that the subjects had a restrictive diet during the trial consuming only 1,000Kcal per day!
Here is the full study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17215177
Do the Clinical Studies support the weight loss claims?
There is doubt as to the weight loss claims and proportions of some of the ingredients compared to the clinical studies referenced. There could be sufficient Glucomannan to help weight loss of 5.5lbs over 8 weeks though, not exactly the promised 10lbs in 10 days!
Remember there are NO clinical trials using CliniSlim itself.
What About a Guarantee?
There is a full 90-day money-back guarantee on every order minus shipping and handling fee. We could find no other information on the guarantee other than you need to apply for an RMA number by emailing them and return only one used bottle and the remaining unused in good condition.
Where Can I Buy CliniSlim?
CliniSlim is not available in the shops but through the official website only.
One month’s supply costs from $59.95 (£40) for 300 capsules and shipping from $6 to the US and $14 (£9) for International courier taking 10-14 days.
CliniSlim encourages fast and potentially unhealthy weight loss that is likely to be unsustainable and could quite easily result in yo-yo dieting.
There are some very promising ingredients in this product that have clinical studies to suggest they could promote weight loss. There is no evidence that the combination of these compounds can led to the sort of weight loss claimed by CliniSlim though!
The clinical trials referenced by the manufacturer do not reveal the true facts and weight loss claims are overstated and not realistic.
With the potential of side effects, lack of any real independent consumer testimonials and no company information available, we are going to reject CliniSlim diet pills.
Watchdog Rejected Diet Pills
#1 Consumer Choice 2018: Phentaslim
Thousands of customers have cut the fat with this fast and powerful thermogenic fat burner. Can suppress appetite, boost energy levels and elevate mood without the jitters.
- Over 100,000 satisfied customers
- Manufactured in a GMP facility
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- FREE shipping and buy 3 get 1 FREE offers!
< Click here to Read our Full Review >