Dr. lichiroh Ohhira was a Japanese professor and research scientist. He was the developer of award winning probiotic supplements, and has been recognised by Japanese Dairy and Food Association as Scientist of the Year. Dr Ohhira was based at Okayama University until his death in 2016. Dr Ohhira Probiotics.com is a US based supplements company.
Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus is a very expensive, some may say overpriced, health supplement. It is supposed to improve your immune system and digestive health, but there is no real evidence it will work as described despite the appealing presence of bee propolis. Dr Ohhira looks to be a reputable Japanese scientist, so we would have expected to find out more about his award winning probiotic blend in the product information. Instead we are told that it is based on a probiotic strain called Enterococcus Faecalis, which we found out is likely to introduce infection if you have a weakened immune system.
You should avoid this supplement if you have any type of allergy to bee products or bee stings, or if you have a weakened immune system or underlying health concerns otherwise you run the risk of introducing infection.
Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus is extremely expensive. Buy from the official Dr Ohhira Probiotics website and it costs a whopping $103.96 for a box of 120 capsules (1 month’s supply).
You can also buy it from Amazon UK where it costs £176.44. Unsurprisingly nobody appears to have ever done this!
We are unimpressed with Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus. This supplement is extremely overpriced and trading on Dr Ohhira’s reputation yet it comes with very little real information about how it will help you or what it even contains. We have concerns about safety and the risks of E. Faecalis, the probiotic strain used in the formula. In our opinion any potential benefits to digestive health are totally outweighed by the real risks to health.
Finally, did we mention the price? I know we did but we must mention it again. This supplement is extremely expensive at over $100 a month, and the fact that you are supposed to use this supplement on a permanent basis is going to add a massive cost to your monthly bills. We assume the reason for the high price is to make customers think this is a good quality supplement, but don’t be fooled. This new age looking supplement with its cheap dated looking website is not a good deal. Yes it may help some people, but in our opinion is just not worth the health risk or the high price.
Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus Review
Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus is a health supplement that the makers say will support digestive health, and it is described as an innovative health supplement. In truth it is hard to see exactly what it will do. The ingredients information is a little sketchy, and although the main thrust of this company is aimed at probiotics, this fact is not really explained in the Propolis Plus product information.
The major ingredient is a powdered form of bee propolis. This natural substance, sometimes called bee glue, is produced by bees and in its natural form is a sticky resinous substance that bees use to seal their hives and prevent contamination. Bees make propolis from plant and tree resins and it has been used as health treatment for thousands of years, often as a treatment for burns and other skin complaints.
Although bee propolis requires further clinical investigation, it may have numerous health benefits. It is rich in essential oils, waxes, and antioxidants, and with many people believing in the various health boosting capabilities of this safe ingredient, you may find that taking bee propolis may help in a general health supportive way.
According to the product information Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus uses green propolis from Brazil which is a superior propolis high in antioxidant and health promoting qualities.
How to Take Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus
- Take three capsules daily with water: one in the morning, one in the afternoon, and one in the evening
- Take the suggested dosage for 21 days, refrain for seven days, and then repeat. Or use as directed by your health care professional
- For best results, take on an empty stomach
- The product information advises that children can use this supplement but we do not advise you give this to people under 18
- According to the product information Children under age 6 should take 1 capsule before bedtime
Other ingredients include vitamin E, Astaxanthin – derived from a form of seaweed which is high in antioxidants and anti imflamatory substances, and flax oil – a natural oil high in omega 3 fatty acids. There is also the probiotic blend derived from an extract of fermented vegetables. Check out the ingredients tab to find out more.
Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus Concerns:
- High risk of side effects and the introduction of infection into a weakened immune system
- The product information recommends giving this to very young children. DON’T!
- Overpriced inadequate supplement that masquerades as safe and being good for health. Do not believe that just because there is a doctor involved with this company, the supplement is any better than many on the market. In fact it is potentially dangerous.
Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus comes from a company called Dr Ohhira’s Probiotics.com based in Florida and unusually if you buy from the official website, you can still pay by sending a cheque as well as by bankcard via the website or phone line.
The website looks a little old fashioned and dated but seems to sell a wide range of health supplements such as essential oils, a vegan alternative to fish oil, skin preparations such as Dr. Ohhira’s Probiotic Magoroku™ Skin Lotion, Mac Nut oil – an alternative to olive oil and more. The website has very much the look of an alternative health practice that promotes healthy supplements to address specific issues in a natural way.
Dr Ohhira founded the company. He was a Japanese microbiologist specialising in prebiotic and probiotic blends, and according to the product information spent a decade of research and development. His products and blends have won supplement awards in Japan, and his formulae based on traditional Asian fermentation processes. He is the developer of a previously unknown strain of Enterococcus Faecalis, a type of probiotic which sounds scarily like poo (faecal matter).
What Does Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus Claim To Do?
According to the product information there are five key benefits;
- Support immune response
- Provide antioxidant activity
- Promote healthy digestion
- Enhance absorption of nutrients
- Support whole health and energy
The Bee propolis is explained.
“Honeybees create propolis as a flavonoid-rich, antioxidant and antibacterial substance to coat and seal the interior of their hives. Derived from plant and tree resins, propolis protects the hive from invasion by bad bacteria, mold, and other pathogens. Humans can benefit from propolis by consuming it as a dietary supplement.”
The probiotic blend is explained as a “powdered form of our fermented vegetable extract for GI tract digestive support”
If you are wondering how this supplement will actually help you, it is described as “an innovative whole health formula targets immune system response, digestive support, and inflammation cycle.”
We would have loved to have seen some hard fact examples about the sort of improvements to health you could expect from taking this supplement. We are guessing it is just supposed to make you feel better generally, avoid catching colds, and improve digestive issues such as gas, but this is never explained.
Does Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus Work?
We are not totally sure what this supplement is supposed to do, so it is hard to say whether or not it works. How can you really tell if your nutrients are being absorbed or that this supplement helps you avoid catching flu? It might be the supplement of course, or it could be other factors at work.
That said some people may notice a general health boosting effect and according to the limited customer feedback available, the antioxidants may help strengthen the immune system if you are already fairly healthy.
However we have concerns about the probiotic blend. Although Dr Ohhira has won awards in Japan for his development of 10 strains of a probiotic called Enterococcus Faecalis, there are health concerns with this. There are thousands of different probiotic strains, but this type may introduce infection into the body which could be dangerous to health.
According to the Journal of Nutrition, “… some of the genera Streptococcus and Enterococcus and some other genera of LAB that could be potential probiotics contain opportunistic pathogens.”
An opportunistic pathogen is an organism that is capable of causing disease only when the host’s resistance is lowered, for example, by other diseases or drugs. Source
What Are The Ingredients of Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus?
There is no ingredients information. Although you are advised to take three capsules a day, you really will have no idea just what you are taking. The only information about the ingredients is in the advertising, and the company seem to be very careful to keep the label out of view.
- Brazilian Green Propolis: This type of bee propolis is high in a Brazilian medicinal plant called Baccharis dracunculifolia DC (Asteraceae) so is high in natural chemicals such as cinnamic acid derivates and flavanoids. Clinical studies carried out mainly on animals suggest that it may have a neuro protective effect, help treat ulcers, and improve liver function and immunity. Research is ongoing but early results are very promising. Source
- Probiotic Support: This fermented vegetable extract for GI tract digestive support is the signature formula for all Dr Ohhira supplements, but there is very little real information about it. What we do know is that Dr Ohhira has indentified and used strains of Enterococcus Faecalis, a type of probiotic that does have some health concerns. It may help improve digestive health but it may introduce infection into the body. Some people who have taken probiotics containing E Faecalis have experienced side effects. Source
- Vitamin E: This vitamin is one of the most important when it comes to antioxidant content, and most advice is to eat a diet which is naturally high in vitamin E such as dark green veg, whole grains, and extra virgin olive oil. Alpha-Tocopherol and Tocotrienol are two classes of components of vitamin E which provide the antioxidant effects. However dietary advice is to consume more vitamin E in diet in order to get all 8 of the vitamin E compounds. Source
- Astaxanthin: Red pigment chemical extracted from seafood and seaweed, as here it is derived from Haematococcus seaweed. It is an antioxidant so may help prevent cell damage, but more evidence is required to prove whether or not it is effective for medical conditions, such as cancer and macular degeneration as many people claim. Source
- Flax Oil: High in omega 3 fatty acids, flax oil may have numerous health benefits to cholesterol, helping avoid hardening of the arteries, and more. Flax is high in alpha linoleic acid which helps reduce inflammation. Source
Does Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus Have Any Side Effects?
You should avoid Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus if you have an allergy to bee stings or bee products, and there is a school of thought that says that propolis may make asthma conditions worse.
However our main concern is about the probiotic blend, which if you have a weakened immune system may introduce infection into your body that will have to be treated with antibiotics.
Mild side effects may include
- Digestive discomfort
Not suitable for individuals under 18. Avoid if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Speak to your doctor before using if you are taking prescription medication or if you have an underlying medical condition. This supplement could cause adverse effects in some cases.
Are There Any Customer Reviews For Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus?
There are a dozen or so feedback comments on the Amazon website. All are positive and comments include;
My nutritionist recommended this particular product for my gluten intolerance and it has worked wonders. It’s expensive but absolutely worth it. I’ve heard that it’s also very effective for urinary tract infections but can’t confirm that personally
We would advise anyone who has a UTI to see their doctor rather than turn to OTC supplements like this.
Many people seem to take this supplement on a permanent basis,
I started taking these daily after my daughter recommended probiotics. For years I had at least a cold every eight months of so, not just a trivial cold, but one that lasted four weeks and ended with persistent lung congestion. I’ve been taking one of Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus caps for over a year now and no colds for 16 months and counting.
This stuff is golden, cold feel the results the first day………….. It works better than anything I have ever used in the past 30 years.
Does Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus Offer a Money-Back Guarantee?
There is no money back guarantee with Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus.
Where Can I Buy Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus?
Dr Ohhira’s Propolis Plus is available to buy direct from the official website. It is also on sale via Amazon USA.
You can also find it advertised on Amazon UK.