Katalyst is a supplements company that is mainly focused on products for bodybuilders. Katalyst Lipocor is a supplement looking to address weight issues, so will have a wider appeal to a mainstream audience. There is little background information to the Katalyst brand. It seems to be available only from Nutrishop, a USA supplements franchise operating predominantly in the USA.
Katalyst Lipocor is marketed as a weight loss supplement, but in truth it is hard to tell from the advertising. As is typical with all Katalyst supplements it suffers from a lack of information about the precise ingredients, what it is supposed to do and even the price. That said, it does look safe and the omega oil fatty acid profile may have some health general health benefits.
We trawled through numerous Nutrishop websites and delved extensively online looking for this information, but it is not available.
Looking at the information we have, Katalyst Lipocor does not look too bad as a health supplement. Increasing omega 3 oils is generally good for health and although CLA maybe not as good as it is cracked up to be, you may find it has a very slight effect upon fat burning.
The big question is, why on earth would you bother with Lipocor? There are plenty of other supplements out there which look better and are easily available and in our opinion you would do better choosing one of these rather than bothering with this mysterious and indifferent looking supplement.
Katalyst Lipocor Review
Katalyst Lipocor is a weight loss supplement that unlike many on the market contains no stimulants such as caffeine. Instead it is built around omega fatty acids derived from natural oils such as flax oil and fish oil.
One of the ingredients is a branded supplement called Tonalin, which is a well-known CLA supplement often used in many other weight loss/ fat burning supplements. Although Tonalin contains Conjugated Linoleic Acid (CLA) a group of fatty acids often derived from dairy and beef products, the source of the CLA in Tonalin is safflower oil.
CLA is supposed to help you reduce calorie intake and stimulate the burning of fat. It is popular with bodybuilders because it seems to reduce fat deposits but not weight, and it may play a role in strengthening the immune system.
Katalyst Lipocor contains Flaxseed oil, Evening Primrose Oil and Borage oil. These natural oils contain a range of fatty acids. Evening Primrose oil and Borage oil (two natural plants) contain Gamma Linoic Acid; an omega 6 fatty acid present in some vegetable oils and there is evidence to to suggest this may reduce inflammation and cell damage. Flaxseed oil contains ALA (alpha Linoleic acid) an essential omega 3 fatty acid that may help heart health.
The remaining ingredients are fish oil – well known for being a source of omega 3 fatty acids. It also contains Caralluma Fimbriata extract, a type of cactus that may help restrict appetite. The final component is L carnitine an amino acid that may help the fatty acids in the body produce energy.
How to Take Katalyst Lipocor
Take 2 softgel capsules with meals.
Katalyst Nutraceuticals is a company with very little information about the company’s background and very little to help the customer regarding product information. The Katalyst website claims the company has had “its finger on the pulse of the sports nutrition industry for the past 9 years”, but does not provide any real information to customers about their products. In general, Katalyst supplements come with limited ingredients information and no explanation about what the supplements will actually do and this is the case with Lipocor.
Katalyst Lipocor Concerns:
- Zero information provided about how many capsules you should take each day – although the ingredients look safe, taking to excess is likely to cause side effects
- No ingredients information, practically zero advertising, no customer feedback, no guarantee – why does Lipocor come with such inadequate information?
- Nutrishop does not look to be a very high quality business – the franchisees should be able to explain how the supplements they sell work and how much they cost
The Katalyst brand is sold exclusively by Nutrishop, a US health franchise with physical shops in many locations across the USA. Each Nutrishop franchise has its specific website and all of these are different. However, one characteristic they share is a complete lack of product information. We combed through many Nutrishop websites searching for product details and a price for Lipocor but were unable to find this most basic information.
What Does Katalyst Lipocor Claim To Do?
There is a staggering lack of information about Lipocor. We looked at the Katalyst website but could only find the same claims as made on the product container. There is no information about what this supplement is supposed to do, or how it will help you.
We learned that Lipocor is a “stimulant free formula” including a “proprietary blend” which contains “Safflower oil, Flaxseed oil and Evening Primrose oil”.
It is an “a comprehensive blend of essential and non-essential omega 3, 6 and 9 phospholipids.”
Some of the Nutrishop websites, although not all, provide a bit more information.
This Nutrishop website states that,
LIPOCOR™ is a complete, all natural, stimulant-free, comprehensive blend of essential lipids including CLA, Omega-3, Omega-6, LA, EPA, DHA, and GLA. Reduce stubborn fat. Support lean muscle. Control cravings.
Does Katalyst Lipocor Work?
It seems unlikely that it will help you lose weight. The fat loss effects of CLA (Tonalin) are not impressive and although some evidence suggests it may help fat loss, results are not conclusive.
In a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials, carried out over 6 months, a meta analysis found serious flaws in many of the research methods.
In some tests, although CLA did appear to reveal a small significant difference in fat loss favouring CLA over placebo, the effects were so small that the clinical relevance seemed uncertain.
The conclusion was that the evidence from RCTs does not convincingly show that CLA intake generates any clinically relevant effects on body composition on the long term.
Caralluma Fimbriata is a cactus extract that has shown up to have some positive appetite suppressing effects but again clinical testing is limited and still in early days.
The omega oils will have some general benefits to health but overall we cannot see that Katalyst Lipocor will help you lose much weight.
What Are The Ingredients of Katalyst Lipocor?
Serving size is equal to two soft gel capsules. However the ingredients list is not satisfactory because all the components of the formula are blended together in a proprietary blend. This means we cannot see the individual ingredient quantities.
- Tonalin:Tonalin: Tonalin is a brand of CLA derived from safflower oil which is available only to the supplements industry so it shows up in numerous other products on the market. It has undergone numerous clinical studies that seem to suggest that it will help reduce body fat and prevent against weight gain. The down side is that other clinical investigation says that the effects are minimal. Serving size is not provided here but experts recommend between 1 -3g of CLA for best results.
- Fish Oil (contains EPA and DHA): Eating oily fish is good for health and many people take fish oil as a health supplement. Fish oil contains two types of omega 3 long chain fatty acids; EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). DHA is especially important for brain health as it is one of the most abundant fatty acids in the brain but both types have numerous health benefits, including cardiovascular health, eye health and more.
- Flaxseed Oil (contains ALA and LA): Flaxseed contains Alpha Linoleic acid and Linoleic acid, polyunsaturated fatty acids that seem to decrease inflammation. Some research suggests that flaxseed oil lowers cholesterol levels.
- Evening Primrose Oil (contains GLA and LA): Derived from the seeds of a primrose variety, Evening Primrose oil is a source of fatty acids Gamma Linoleic acid (GLA) an omega 6 fatty acid. The body needs omega 6 fatty acids but because many of these are present in our normal diet such as in meat and dairy, the western diet is overloaded with omega 6 and tends to lack the more beneficial omega 3. That said GLA does come with some health benefits for certain conditions such as allergies and high blood pressure. No real evidence that says it will help you lose weight.
- Borage Oil (contains GLA and LA): Natural plant oil with a similar profile to the above.
- L Carnitine: Amino acid, one of the building blocks of protein that helps the body converts fat into energy. Your body makes this substance in the kidneys and liver and stores it in the muscles, heart and brain. This may play a role in the treatment of cancer and it may have an effect upon the metabolism and muscle development.
- Caralluma Fimbriata: Fibre rich cactus that may be a safe and effective supplement ingredient for use in appetite control. It contains natural chemicals that may help reduce appetite but some research suggests it needs to be taken for a month before it works. It requires further clinical evidence.
Does Katalyst Lipocor Have Any Side Effects?
The ingredients in Lipocor seem safe but there may be side effects that affect some people.
Potential side effects mainly come from the CLA content and may include:
- Lowering of blood pressure
- Increase in potassium levels
- Stomach cramps
Other side effects may include:
- Intestinal gas
- Allergic reaction (flaxseed oil)
- Burping and heart burn (fish oil)
Not suitable for individuals under 18. Avoid if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Speak to your doctor first if you have an underlying medical condition or are taking prescription medication.
Are There Any Customer Reviews For Katalyst Lipocor?
There are no customer reviews for Katalyst Lipocor.
Does Katalyst Lipocor Offer a Money-Back Guarantee?
There is no money-back guarantee on offer.
Where Can I Buy Katalyst Lipocor?
Katalyst Lipocor is only available via Nutrishop, a health franchise across the USA. You have to visit a Nutrishop store or sign up to one of the Nutrishop websites before you can buy.
Katalyst Lipocor is not on sale via other outlets and it does not seem to be available to customers outside the USA.