Phen RX is a fat burner that is supposed to increase your energy levels as well as help you burn off fat fast. It comes from Nexgen Biolabs a USA based company that specialises in OTC copies of prescription meds and the supplement is available as a diet pill or as a weight loss patch.
Phen RX is advertised as an OTC alternative to prescription diet pill Phentermine so if you are looking for a powerful US made fat burner you may be tempted by this supplement.
We are not very impressed with Phen RX.
All that said, there is some genuine positive customer feedback for Phen RX. Some customers have found that the capsules and the patches have helped support weight loss so this supplement is obviously doing something for some people.
If you can find some cheap deals on the Groupon discount site it won’t actually cost you much to give this supplement a try. Then again when there are much better alternatives on the market we would question why waste your time.
Phen RX Review
Phen RX is a supplement that has copied the name of notorious diet pill Phentermine so just from this alone we can assume that it is going to be strong!
This supplement is most commonly taken as a diet pill but is also available as patch that you stick to your skin and wear in the same way as a nicotine patch.
Phen RX contains a lot of stimulants. These include Trimethylxanthine – which is actually just a fancy name for caffeine, a mood stimulant called Beta Phenylethlamine, also known as PEA, which is believed to stimulate the brain’s feel good chemical dopamine.
It contains Synephrine a chemical that increases the metabolism in a similar way to banned substance Ephedrine and increases heart rate and blood pressure. It contains Yohimbe – a chemical that is believed to stimulate sexual and athletic performance.
Other ingredients include Chinese plant extract Schizandrol – a stimulant that kicks in a few minutes after taking and can last for up to an hour, Dimethyl 4 another stimulant with a similar way of working as ephedrine and trace amino acid Tyramine.
It is not advisable that anyone takes this supplement for too long or if there are any medical issues. Phen RX could be dangerous for some people as it will increase the heart rate and blood pressure and it may cause a range of mainly heart related side effects.
Nexgen Biolabs have past form in marketing supplements that copy prescription drugs and are high in stimulants. Phen RX is supposed to be similar to Phentermine – a weight loss supplement with numerous side effects and only available under prescription. In addition, one of their most popular supplements is AdderRX a copy of Adderall – an addictive prescription drug that contains amphetamines and is used to treat ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).
Adderall misuse is rife in US colleges where students use it to boost mental performance and study grades. Nexgen Biolabs have been criticised for handing out free samples of Adder RX on US college campuses.
Other Nexgen Biolabs supplements include Jet Rush aimed at party animals and speed freaks and SlenderFruit-7.
As with all weight loss supplements, just because Phen RX is legal, does not mean that it is safe.
Phen RX Concerns:
- Incomplete ingredients profile – you do not know how much of any ingredient you are taking
- Contains ingredients that increase heart rate and blood pressure
- Probably will not help weight loss once you get used to the effects
What Does Phen RX Claim To Do?
There is nothing subtle about Phen RX. You will notice this supplement and if you are looking for a stimulant buzz, you have probably found what you are looking for here. According to Nexgen Biolabs Phen RX it is their best selling strongest weight loss formulation.
Stimulants are popular for weight loss and there is evidence that they work. Stimulants increase the speed of the metabolism and as a result increase calorie burn; they can give you added energy and motivation to exercise.
According to the advertising, this comes down to six key benefits:
- Extreme weight loss
- Maximum strength appetite suppression
- Energy enhancement & mental focus
- Significantly reduce BMI (body mass index)
- Targets fat and lipid metabolism on stubborn problem areas
- Enhance metabolic function and fat burning
So What Does All This Mean?
PhenRx contains stimulants and ingredients that will increase your heart rate and blood pressure. You will probably notice an energy buzz after taking but there is nothing here that specifically targets weight loss beyond the stimulant effect.
The capsule contains just 377 mg but we do not know the ingredients breakdown. It may be mainly caffeine (an average coffee contains 100mg per cup) but whatever it is you will probably notice it.
So Does Phen RX Work?
Phen RX is a very basic looking supplement. It contains only stimulants and there is evidence that that taking stimulants can help increase weight loss. The downside is that this method of weight loss will cause side effects so will not suit everyone.
Many Watchdog readers have contacted us complaining about side effects following taking the capsules or the patches.
So What Is Phen RX and What Are The Ingredients For Phen RX?
PhenRx is a diet pill that contains stimulants and not much else. The company are cagey about their ingredients and do not provide a full ingredients list, beyond a fuzzy picture of a label that is impossible to read.
When we did find one we saw that this is a propriety blend so lacks an ingredients breakdown. This means we can’t give you ingredient quantities.
However each capsule is equal to one serving and contains 377mg:
- 137 Trimethylxanthine: This is another name for caffeine, the world’s favourite stimulant. It can be effective as part of a weight loss diet because it raises the speed of the metabolism.
- Synephrine HCL: This stimulant raises the heart rate and increases blood pressure and is billed as a way to increase the metabolism in place of banned substance ephedrine.
Synephrine sometimes called Bitter Orange or Citrus Aurantium features on WebMD’s danger list. It is not safe and can cause heart palpitations and a whole range of side effects. It has been linked to causing heart attacks and strokes. See our previous investigation on Synephrine HCL for more information.
- Schizandrol: Sometimes used in body building products and is also an ingredient in other NexGen product JetRush. This Chinese plant extract has a stimulant effect within a few minutes of taking. The short term high will last around an hour and the side effects have not been fully investigated. It may be unsafe. Does not appear to have an application for weight loss
- Beta Phenylethylamine (also known as PEA): is believed to stimulate brain chemicals serotonin and dopamine. It causes a short-lived high effect but is quickly metabolized. It is this high that makes it attractive as a supplement but the effect often lasts only a few minutes.
- Yohimbine: Another one on the danger list, Yohimbe is believed to improve sexual and athletic performance but lacks evidence to prove this. Reported side effects include blood pressure changes, heart beat irregularities and heart attacks.
- Dimethyl 4: Stimulant believed to be a safe alternative to ephedrine but no evidence that it is actually any safer. Sometimes used in medication for attention deficit disorder and weight loss but there is no evidence that it works. Can raise the heart rate and blood pressure.
- Hydroxy Phenylethylamine: Also known as Tyramine a naturally occurring trace element from amino acid tyrosine. Can cause side effects in some people and is known for creating the “cheese effect” – the migraine that some people experience after eating cheese. May increase blood pressure. Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16856145
Does Phen RX Have Any Side Effects?
Phen RX will certainly not be safe for everyone and if you have a medical condition relating to heart or blood pressure or you are taking prescription medication you should definitely avoid.
Many Watchdog readers have mentioned side effects including:
- Heart palpitations
- Increased heart rate
- Elevated blood pressure
- Increased risk of stroke or heart attack.
- Insomnia. You may not be able to sleep at night
- Upset stomach
According to Nexgen side effects are rare and may include;
Caution: Avoid if pregnant or breast feeding. Do not take PhenRX if you suffer from a heart condition or have high blood pressure. Do not take if you are sensitive to stimulants or suffer from mental problems. Avoid if you have any type of medical condition related to the thyroid.
See your doctor before taking if you are on medication, because of the risk of drug interactions.
Any Phen RX Reviews From Customers?
Yes and it is a mixed bag. Many people are very pleased with this supplement and feel very positive about it.
A big thumbs up from me, I dived in to try something new and I’m very happy
with the overall outcome, I highly recommend these to lose weight
said one customer.
Despite some customers reporting an increase in appetite, this is not the same for everyone;
This is the first weight loss product we’ve tried that actually seemed to work… This is a pretty strong stimulant, so if you are not used to them, be careful
Not everyone is as pleased.
I took these for about 4 days and had to stop. It felt as though my heart was affected badly… racing at times and a feeling of pressure. In any case, it may be good for some, but obviously not for me….
A typical negative review came from this customer;
I felt no different taking this product. It has not given any energy nor weight loss. I would not recommend it, save your money.
What About A Guarantee
According to the Nexgen Biolabs advertising, all purchases from the website are covered by a 30 day guarantee.
This sounds good but in our opinion, Nexgen Biolabs are unlikely to honour this claim. There are no details about how to claim the guarantee such as the return address, whether you need to obtain a RAM (return number) or any other criteria.
This lack of information in the terms and conditions makes us believe that the guarantee is there for decoration only and may not be honoured should you wish to claim a refund.
Our advice about the guarantee? Don t hold your breath. You are very unlikely to get your money back.
Where Can I Buy Phen RX?
Phen RX used to be on sale via Amazon and similar websites but these days it seems to be mainly on sale via the discount site Groupon where prices will vary.
One deal we have seen is a two pack package (2 x 30 capsules) of Phen RX for $17.99 plus shipping costs.
We have also seen 1 x packet of Phen RX patches (30 days supply) for $19.99 plus shipping.
If you buy Phen RX direct from the Nexgen Biolabs site it is more expensive:
- 1 x bottle of 30 capsules costs $39.99. Shipping is calculated at the point of sale.
- 1 x packet of 30 weight loss patches costs $29.99.