PhenQ contains some interesting and unusual ingredients for weight loss, but will the results work in the way that the advertising describes? And more importantly is it safe? We take an in-depth look into PhenQ to find out more.
PhenQ may cause side effects. These are mainly from the calcium carbonate content and may include constipation, nausea/vomiting, gas, mental confusion, headache, thirst, jitteriness, anxiety, and itchiness.
Buy 2 x bottles and get one free (3 months supply) costs £91.90. (Retail price is listed as £161.85.)
Buy 3 x bottles and get two free (5 month’s supply) for £129.95. This option comes with a free bottle of another supplement called Advana Cleanse. (Retail price is listed as £269.75.)
There are some good points about PhenQ. We like that this supplement has a money-back guarantee, and we like that the company seem to be reputable. We approved an Ergo supplement previously so we are confident that you will not be entered into any dodgy billing scams with this one either.
Overall, it was a tough one, but in our opinion PhenQ looks just about good enough to be added to our approved list.
PhenQ is following a diet pill tradition by using “Phen” as part of the name and popping the words “In Phentermine Q” on the label. Although this phrase is pretty meaningless, it is in reference to Phentermine – a notorious but powerful prescription drug that has helped people lose weight but is known for side effects including a link to strokes and heart attacks. These days Phentermine is not so easily available and possibly for this reason, there are numerous weight loss supplements on the market such as PhenQ which pay homage to the Phentermine name.
A “Phen” diet pill usually contains a lot of stimulants. However, PhenQ does not follow this trend and in fact it is unlike any diet pill we have ever seen. The only stimulant ingredient is caffeine which contains around the equivalent of a cup and a half of coffee. The principle ingredient is calcium carbonate at a whopping 625mg a serving.
Calcium is essential for healthy bones and teeth but there is little to link it to weight loss and, in fact, calcium carbonate is often used as a filler ingredient in other supplements. Calcium carbonate is however taken as a cheap over the counter antacid treatment where it is effective if taken in moderation.
Calcium carbonate is an abundant mineral found across the world in rocks and cliffs and even identified on Mars. Closer to home calcium carbonate is present in hard natural substances such as pearls and eggshells and in dietary form is present in green leaf veggies such as kale and broccoli.
Other ingredients include amino acids which may help cause fat burning and muscle mass, and vitamins. There are also some servings of weight loss ingredients such as capsaicin extract, which is believed to work as a natural thermogenic (fat burner), a natural cactus extract called Nopal and chromium picolinate.
How to Take PhenQ
Take one PhenQ pill with your breakfast and one with your lunch every day for two months in order to achieve the desired result.
If you need to lose a lot of weight, it is recommended to take supplement for three months.
Do not exceed the recommended dosage.
PhenQ is manufactured by Ergo Group Ltd, an investment group based in Dubai. The group invests in sectors including health, wellness, technology and energy. According to the product information, PhenQ is manufactured in FDA approved facilities but there is no further information as to whether PhenQ is made in the UK or the USA. It is highly likely it is manufactured in both.
Although PhenQ originates from a Dubai-based company, there are offices both in the UK and USA which deal with shipping and customer services in both countries. The company also ship internationally and the product website is available in many different language versions.
- There can be side effects to taking calcium carbonate
- Many people consider calcium carbonate to be a filler ingredient
We have covered an Ergo supplement in a previous review. This was Garcinia Cambogia Extra which we were impressed with.
Although we are not 100% convinced about garcinia cambogia as an ingredient, we thought this supplement looked like a good way of trying this popular although unproven ingredient. We added Garcinia Cambogia Extra to our approved list.
What Does PhenQ Claim To Do?
According to the advertising, there are six key features about PhenQ, features that will give you the “slim sexy body you’ve always wanted”:
- Unique new slimming product designed to give you better results than others.
- Burn stored fat and reveal your hidden dream body.
- Suppress your appetite to eat less and cut calories.
- Block fat production to stop weight gain.
- Improve your mood and energy levels for hassle-free weight loss.
- High quality formula produced in the US and UK in GMP and FDA approved facilities.
The claims explain the role of calcium by mentioning a clinical trial:
Obese adults taking part in a six month study lost more body weight and body fat when they supplemented their diets with higher calcium amounts
PhenQ makes losing weight straightforward, simple, and saves you spending on several products!
The supplement comes with a full 60-day money-back guarantee so:
you can purchase with absolute confidence. Simply return any unused PhenQ in its original packaging within 67 days of receiving your order and we’ll give you a full refund, excluding any shipping charges.
Does PhenQ Work?
There may be something in the claims that low fat calcium may help reduce body fat, but the science isn’t conclusive as of yet.
The research suggests that increased calcium stored in fat cells may help break this fat down and lead to fat burning. Testing on obese mice showed that on average had a 42% reduction of fat mass. Will this work on humans? It might. However, the research is in preliminary stages and some scientists believe that a more effective method would be to substitute high fat dairy produce with low fat dairy produce and to ensure you are getting plenty of calcium from other dietary sources such as green leafy veg, fish nuts and oats.
Current calcium guidelines are for men to ingest 1200mg of calcium and women 1300mg of calcium per day.
What Are The Ingredients of PhenQ?
PhenQ is a multi purpose weight loss supplement. Serving size is equal to one capsule.
- Calcium Carbonate: Calcium carbonate is a chemical compound formed by carbon, calcium and oxygen and is found in rocks around the world as well as on Mars! It is also taken in supplement form for calcium – essential for healthy bones and teeth. One clinical trial tested calcium carbonate for weight loss on 32 obese people and seemed to suggest that increasing dietary calcium contributed to weight loss.
- Caffeine: Same as the caffeine in the coffee you drink but in powdered form making it more suitable for supplements. Can increase the metabolism and as a result lead to weight loss although effects can wear off as you get accustomed to use. Amount here equivalent to about one and a half cups of instant coffee.
- L Carnitine Fumerate (142.5mg): Stable form of amino acid L Carnitine which is present in meat, nuts and some veggies and is important for muscle building and combating fatigue. L Carnitine is often taken by body builders for this reason.
- Nopal: This cactus fruit extract is a source of the mineral manganese. Early research suggests it may affect blood sugar levels and may be effective for diabetes treatment.
- Magnesium Stearate (10 mg): chemical compound often used in production of pills and supplements because it prevents ingredients from sticking.
- Capsicum extract (8mg): At high levels capsaicin, the compound in chilli peppers responsible for the fiery effect can be an effective thermogenic. Some evidence suggests that capsicum can increase body temperature and metabolism for 30 minutes after eating. However here in too small quantities to do much.
- Niacin (4.5mg): Also known as vitamin B3, Niacin is important for general health. It may help reduce cholesterol levels and be effective as a treatment for diabetes. However in high amounts can cause side effects. Maximum daily intake is 35mg so here in safe levels.
- Piperine (3mg): natural chemical in black pepper and used in supplements to enhance bioavailability of the other ingredients.
- Chromium Picolinate (80mcg): Natural trace mineral which means that your body requires very little, chromium plays a role in the regulating of blood sugar and insulin. It may help prevent sugar cravings and it is being investigated as a treatment for diabetes.
Does PhenQ Have Any Side Effects?
PhenQ may cause side effects. These are mainly from the calcium carbonate content and may include:
- Nausea/ vomiting
- Mental confusion
Other side effects may include:
Not suitable for individuals under 18. Avoid if you are pregnant or breast feeding. Seek advice from your doctor before taking if you are taking prescription medication or suffer from an underlying health condition.
Are There Any Customer Reviews For PhenQ?
There is very little independent feedback for Phen Q despite the high number of customer testimonials on the product website. Unsurprisingly all these are extremely positive.
Here is a typical example from a customer, who has reported a loss of 7lbs:
I always hated having my picture taken – I used to try and hide behind other people in photos. I had to hold my stomach in all the time, and every time I sat down I’d have to cover it with my arms so people couldn’t see it. Now I don’t have anything to hide, and I love having my picture taken!
We could only find one Independent customer review and this was not as favourable. This lady had issues with the size of the capsules and the lack of effects. She reported:
Too big to swallow. Has not helped in weight loss at this time even though these are being taken with a healthy diet and exercise.
Does PhenQ Offer a Money-Back Guarantee?
PhenQ does come with a guarantee if you buy direct from the official website and it looks good.
Here is what the company have to say about it:
We offer a 60 day money back guarantee, so you have nothing to lose but your weight. Simply return any unused PhenQ in its original packaging within 67 days of receiving your order and we’ll give you a full refund, excluding any shipping charges.
You can send return products to a warehouse facility in your own country. Details are obtainable from the customer service department. You can chat with customer services via live chat on the website.
Where Can I Buy PhenQ?
PhenQ is available direct from the product website which is available direct to UK and to US customers. There are also own language versions of the site.
1 x bottle of 60 capsules (1 month’s supply) costs £45.95.
Buy 2 x bottles and get one free (3 months supply) costs £91.90.
Buy 3 x bottles and get two free (5 month’s supply) for £129.95. This option comes with a free bottle of another supplement called Advana Cleanse.